The Top 8 Walking Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
The plantar fascia is a flat band of tissue that connects your heel bone to your toes. When the ligament that supports your arch is weak or strained, you will have pain in the heel or arch of your foot. It is more common in middle-aged people and people who stand for excessive periods of time. Plantar fasciitis can occur in one or both feet.
A supportive walking or running shoe can help alleviate foot pain due to plantar fasciitis. Specially-designed shoes prevent your feet from rolling forward when you walk, allowing them to spring back naturally. Designs like Orthaheel, GEL-Venture® 5, Othalite, and Avia’s Cantilever® System are made to support the ligament in the arch of your foot.
Wearing supportive shoes during the day can substantially reduce pain that is due to plantar fasciitis.
Regular Shoes vs. Supportive Shoes
A good pair of walking shoes is one of the best investments you can make for the health of your back, legs, and feet. Supportive shoes improve posture and alleviate leg and foot pain, especially for people who stand for long periods of time, or people who enjoy walking or running.
Supportive shoes protect you from injury because they absorb the impact on your feet and body. For runners, supportive running shoes provide good traction to the ground. This helps runners maximize their speed and help them increase their running times.
Walking and running shoes fall into three categories:
- General purpose and road use
- Off-road and trail use
- Racing flats and spikes
When most people walk, one side of the heel usually impacts the ground first, and then it rolls forward diagonally. This movement is called pronation. Pronation when walking or running on hard surfaces can cause foot injuries. Supportive walking and running shoes are designed with extra support to reduce the rolling motion. Plantar fasciitis is a common problem for walkers, runners, and middle-aged people. A good supportive running shoe may reduce symptoms of plantar fasciitis and may prevent it all together.
Best Walking Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
Orthaheel makes this women’s leather walking shoe with a bio-mechanical, removable orthotic that has an anti-bacterial treatment. It also has a heel cup that helps to realign and support your foot. A podiatrist designed the motion-controlling foot bed with a contoured arch support. The flexible rubber-outsole gives solid traction and it is water-resistant.
- 60-DAY WEAR TEST! Test our shoes for up to 60 days, and if you are not completely satisfied return them for a full refund. FREE SHIPPING AND RETURNS. See for yourself why Orthofeet is regarded by millions as the World's Most Comfortable and stylish ORTHOPEDIC SHOES. Try RISK FREE: Walk COMFORTABLE and PAIN FREE or Your MONEY BACK!
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? HEEL PAIN? FOOT PAIN? Orthofeet orthotic shoes offer the BEST ORTHOPEDIC FOOTWEAR solution. Lightweight ERGONOMIC SOLE with AIR CUSHIONING along with premium ORTHOTIC INSOLES that feature ANATOMICAL ARCH SUPPORT and multiple CUSHIONING layers provide soft, PILLOW-LIKE SUPPORT that works wonders to improve COMFORT and EASE PAIN on the FOOT and HEEL, all the way up your KNEES, HIPS and LOWER BACK caused by flat feet, overpronation, arthritis, neuropathy and diabetes.
- EXTENDED WIDTHS - These shoes are available in Medium, Wide and Extra Wide widths, offering a PERFECT, CUSTOMIZED FIT.
- DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? Soft, pliable uppers with SEAM-FREE FABRIC LINING and extra foam padding, provide SUPERIOR COMFORT and protection for SENSITIVE FEET, offering the best solution for women’s diabetic shoes, women’s arthritis shoes and women’s shoes for neuropathy. Certified by Medicare and qualified as women’s therapeutic shoes under code A5500 of the Diabetic Shoe Bill
- Excellent solution for BUNIONS and HAMMER TOES: A wide TOE BOX offers a comfortable, non-binding fit, and eases pressure on bunions, hammer toes and sensitive feet. ORTHOTIC FRIENDLY: Extra depth design with removable insoles (¼” thick in the forefoot area) provides ample space for custom made orthotics. The UNIQUE COMFORT FEATURES help alleviate stress on the joints, enhance stability and add spring to your step to improve mobility.
With every stride, this athletic women’s walking shoe puts a spring in your step and then realigns the foot back to its natural position. This leather upper was designed by a podiatrist to absorb shock and reduce pressure on feet, ankles, and knees. The outsole has a patterned tread to prevent slipping and falling. The shoe is made with Orthaheel Technology Zen for strong arch support.
- Premium, full-grain, water-resistant leather uppers and action lacing system
- Active Motion System (AMS) technology, combining our podiatrist-designed orthotic with a flexible, cushioned outsole and a lightweight, breathable upper
- Podiatrist-developed biomechanical removable orthotic with Vionic
- Anti-bacterial top cloth to control foot odor
- Removable molded EVA midsole with built-in .5" elevation for a smooth transition in heel-to-toe strike zone
Men will find comfort and support with this leather walking shoe by Vionic. This shoe realigns your legs to improve your posture and sense of balance. It has a deep heel cup and a supple EVA midsole that absorbs shock and reduces foot stress. Designed by a podiatrist, this shoe is made with Orthaheel Endurance which alleviates common foot pain by decreasing over-pronation.
- Leather or Suede Upper. Removable Textile-covered EVA Footbed. Built in .5" elevation for a smooth transition in heel-to-toe strike zone. Durable Rubber Outsole.
- Received APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association) Seal of Acceptance
- YOUR NEW FAVORITE SNEAKERS: Make a move in our perennial customer favorite Walker featuring a leather or suede upper and dual-density EVA technology for maximum stability.
- EVERYDAY SUPPORT: A podiatrist-designed footbed built into every pair of Vionic sandals, slippers, active shoes and flats promotes stability from the ground up.
- Vionic active footwear features Active Motion System (AMS) technology, combining our podiatrist-designed orthotic with a flexible, cushioned outsole and a lightweight, breathable upper. Step into support for work, play and everyday.
Propet is making a strong debut in the athletic shoe market with this XV550 men’s walking shoe. It’s a double-insoled shoe with an Ortholite insole. The exterior of the shoe has an antimicrobial brushed dri-lex lining and sock lining to prevent issues that cause foot odor. It’s a supportive shoe that breathes and comes in many fun colors too.
- Antimicrobial brushed dri-lex lining and sock lining to help prevent the leading causes of foot odor
- Ortholite insole with open-cell polyurethane foam, memory foam top layer and dri-lex cover for high-level breathability
- Double insoles
- A5500 approved
This a great-fitting shoe that withstands the rigors of outdoor running, but is comfortable for the demands of everyday wear. The GEL-Venture® 5 is a cushioning system that supports your foot’s arch and absorbs shock. It’s a synthetic shoe with a rugged neutral runner in mesh, with bright overlays. The outsole is made with high-abrasion rubber for multi-surface traction. It has a removable foam sockliner which will accommodate your orthotics.
- Rugged neutral runner in mesh with bright overlays
- GEL Cushioning System
- Removable foam sockliner accommodates orthotics
- Trail-specific outsole with multisurface traction
- High-abrasion rubber
AVI-Union developed the FOM® Lite midsole featuring Avia’s Cantilever® System to make a heel with light cushioning that provides stability. The slip-resistant outsole is synthetic and has a special tread pattern that keeps water from seeping into the shoe. It has a removable sockliner that promotes breathability and prevents foot odor. This shoe has an extended wear shock-absorbing midsole provides foot support when you stand on hard surfaces all day.
- Oil and slip resistant outsole
- Defender scotch grad treatment for water and stain resistance
- Removable molded ethylene vinyl acetate insole
- Extended wear shock absorbing midsole for all day comfort on hard surfaces
A removable sockliner on this men’s running shoe allows you to insert medical orthotics. It’s a stylish imported shoe made from synthetic and mesh and has a rubber sole. The Rearfoot GEL cushion offers rearfoot support. Trail-specific outsoles provide strong traction with reversed traction lugs. You’ll be ready for the great outdoors with these running shoes with mesh underlays and multicolor stripe accents.
- Outdoor-ready runner with mesh and brushstroke-patterned underlays
- Rearfoot GEL cushioning
- Removable sockliner accommodates medical orthotics
- Trail-specific outsole with reversed traction lugs
- AHAR outsole rubber in critical high-wear areas
Mizuno makes this supportive running shoe with Dynamotion fit. It has internal straps that provide for a snug fit. The shoe combines support and comfort with its springy cushioning insole. It’s a lightweight, man-made shoe that comes in many colors and designs. The outsole has a dependable grip.
- High-mileage runner in lace-up design featuring Dynamotion Fit and well-guided stride
- Comfort-enhanced sock liner
- 3D upper design
- Pebax Fan Wave
- Lightweight U4ic midsole
How To Choose Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
Most people tend to purchase walking and running shoes based upon color, style, and personal preference. When choosing supportive shoes, begin with proper fit and comfort. Choose the right type of shoe for the purpose. Choose supportive walking shoes for walking or standing for long periods. Choose a good running shoe for running. Supportive technologies such as Orthaheel, Orthalite, and GEL-Venture® 5, and personal preference will be your next consideration.
Here are some additional tips that will help you manage plantar fasciitis: